Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Birthday Party #1

Every year I struggle with what to do about birthdays. Maddie's, in particular, is difficult. It's at the beginning of April, so you just can't count on the weather. Which leaves only indoor activities. If we were rich, there'd be no problem! But spending over $200 for a kids' birthday party every single year (twice, if you do Ben's too) is just a little over the top for me. And those are the *cheap* parties! Yikes!

This year I was completely out of ideas. And with Maddie in preschool now, I wasn't even sure who to invite. Do you invite all the preschool kids? Just her friends? Who *are* her friends?! And what about the friends we've had for years, but don't see as much of because of everyone's different schedules? It is just too darn confusing!

So I made a decision. Playdates. Instead of doing one big party (did I mention her birthday was the day before Easter? Another kink), we are doing three playdates with her closest friends. I see this as a win-win for Maddie. This way she gets to go to The Bouncy Place twice instead of once, and eat cupcakes THREE times!! How can that be bad?!

So her first "birthday party" was last Monday with her oldest friend, Jada. Jada is one day older than Maddie, and they get along fabulously. It's been so fun to see them grow up together and have conversations. They make us giggle!



Jada, Maddie and Ben going down the big slide

After The Bouncy Place, we came back to the condo to open presents, have some lunch, and eat cupcakes. The girls couldn't wait for Maddie to open her gift. Silly girls :)



Maddie chose cheese sticks for lunch, and chocolate cupcakes. Yummy!

No comments: