Sad sad news from the Ames Household. We have lost a very dear family member :( Our very first "baby," Daisy, was put to sleep on Friday. Exactly one month before her 9 year old birthday.
Here's the long story for those interested:
Every spring since Daisy has been born, she gets sick. I've spoken with veterinarians about it, and short of running lots of tests (and spending hundreds of dollars), they don't quite know why. Out of nowhere, she starts throwing up every other day or so for about three weeks, then just as suddenly, it stops. She has ALWAYS done this, and over the years, we've just come to expect it.
So in April, she started her routine. I didn't even think anything weird about it. However, she developed a cold (I suspect she got from Simba) and I took her to the vet. (not our normal one) for some meds. While I was there, I commented that she seemed to be losing weight. The doctor said given her age, it was probably time to start her on a soft food diet.
We began a regimen of feeding her canned food whenever she asked. And let me tell you, she was PERSISTENT. Joe would feed her two or three times before he left for work some days! It was as though she couldn't be satisfied. Through this, the throwing up continued every few days. Usual stuff. But she just didn't seem to be gaining weight! Joe even took to brushing her teeth to help with cavities and gum issues, which may have caused her refusal to eat hard food.
Fast forward to a week ago. On Friday, she had an accident. A very messy accident on the kitchen floor. This was very NOT Daisy-like. She is typically a very proud kitty. It was so bad that Joe had to give her a bath to clean her up. And that's when we noticed just how much weight she'd lost. We found out on Monday she was down to only 5 pounds :( And that was with all her long fur! The diahrrea continued. We would find it in little areas all over the house. Like wherever she was sitting, she couldn't hold it in.
So Monday, I took her to the vet. I must be honest, and say I expected in that moment to hear the fateful words. ...But I didn't! So began the up and down emotional roller coaster that last week was. The doctor was obviously concerned, but felt pretty confident that she just had hypothyroidism. All the symptoms fit. She got blood work, gave her some 24 hour anti-nausea medication, antibiotics and fluids and sent us home. I left feeling hopeful.
Tuesday came with a very detailed, sad, conversation. All the blood work came back normal. That sounds good, doesn't it?! Well, it wasn't. When you're throwing up AND having diarrhea *something* should be wrong in your blood work. The diagnosis? Tumor in her intestine. The doctor gave several options for treatment. However, they wouldn't *fix* the problem. Just mask it enough to eek out a few more painful months with our beloved cat. I was impressed with myself...I held it together almost until the end. I told her I'd speak with Joe and get back to her in the morning. The rest of the day was spent crying, loving on Daisy, and telling her how sorry I was that she was sick.
Wednesday dawned with a call to the doctor. As we spoke of what our plan was, I'd commented that she hadn't thrown up again and seemed to be a bit perkier. The doctor was very surprised by this. She felt it was a good idea to give Daisy a few days. Maybe there was no tumor and her system just needed a kick start, so to speak. Up the roller coaster we went. While the outlook was still bleak, we weren't scheduling death quite yet. Yay! However, Wednesday night she started in again throwing up. The doctor had specifically said if she can keep it all down, we'll be ok. If she starts throwing up again, it's over. ........At that moment, I knew.
Thursday, was no better. She seemed even more listless than before. I think the heartache of feeling a little better and then dropping down again was too much for her. She began refusing to even eat tuna. So, Thursday afternoon Joe called and set up an appointment to put her down.
Friday afternoon she spent 3 hours sitting on my lap. She purred a little. She let me pet her, and cry on her, and talk to her. I told her how much I loved her, and how much she meant to us, how sad I was that she was sick. I think....I think she understood. Joe came home an hour early, and we took her to the vet. God Bless Joe, he stayed with her the entire time, holding her. We brought her home and buried her under our apple tree out back.
Today is a better day. Each day gets a little easier. Just like everything else, we will heal. I knew that someday this would happen. It is inevitable. But I didn't think Daisy would be leaving us so soon. She was so full of vim and vigor! And I wasn't expecting it to go downhill so quickly! She aged and died in one week! But, I loved her so much I couldn't see her suffer. I refuse to be selfish and keep her alive because *I* can't say good bye. Daisy deserves more. I will miss her more than words can say. She was our first baby. A member of our family. I saw her every single day. I took care of her, loved her, she slept on my head and cuddled with me. She even talked to me on the phone! Daisy was a very special cat and she will be dearly missed.
Rest in Peace my sweet Daisy girl. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment