Unlike Ben's "graduation," Maddie ACTUALLY graduated! There is no more preschool for my big girl. (She is NOT little. Just ask her!) There are no more "watch me grow" yearly pictures to get. No more preschool programs. No more little girl....
Honestly, I get all choked up every year. Always have. I feel like you invest so much into the school year. You entrust your kid (or yourself when you're young) to these people. They teach, train, guide, play, laugh and love your kids for 9 months. And then, *poof*! Gone! Just like that! It's so ....dramatic for me.
Maddie's teacher, Teacher Patty, is an Army Veteran. One of her end-of-the-year programs is a patriotic one. The kids literally started practicing in January. I'm not joking! And, at the time, I thought she was a tad bit crazy. Haha! Who practices that much? I even got a CD to play for Maddie at home!
I was mistaken. The hard work the kids put in was worth it! ALL of the kids did fantastic! They all sang, they all did the motions, they were wonderful!! The other classes were fine. Very preschool-like. And there's nothing wrong with that! But Patty's class? They outshone the whole production. The only class to get a standing ovation. Very impressive :)
Teacher Patty really impressed upon the kids the importance of RESPECT. The above picture is Maddie saluting. She worked really hard on it! They also learned how to carry the flag properly, and the importance of the military in general. Great lessons to learn at any age! I'm so proud Maddie will carry this with her throughout her life.
For their "costumes," they wore actual military, police and firemen attire. Several were from Teacher Patty and her family. Others were parents or relatives of the kids. Maddie wore her granddad's coat! Joe's dad, Dick, is a retired Air Force Colonel. He was gracious enough to lend us his dress blues for the performance. Such a sweet picture!
The songs they sang were "The Star Spangled Banner," "America, The Beautiful," and "God Bless the USA."
After the performance, I surprised Maddie with flowers and a balloon. She is a graduate now. I felt that this was a moment worthy of a special, grown up gift. And boy, was it a hit! Look at that smile!! She still has her flowers in her room and LOVES them. :) Exactly the sort of reaction I was hoping for...she understands what a big deal it is she's just accomplished.
I started off this post by listing all the things we're losing. All the memories made, that can't be remade. And yeah, it makes me a little melancholy. But you know what? I'm mostly just excited for her!! She is BEYOND excited to start Kindergarten in the fall! And who am I to rain on her parade? There are so many new opportunities for memories to be made. I'm thankful for the ones we already have, and I look forward to all the new ones coming our way.
Congratulations to our big graduate! We are so proud of our girl!!! Watch out Sunset View Elementary! Here comes Maddie, and you've never seen anything like her before! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment