Friday, December 31, 2010

David Slater 1941-2010


December 29th, 2010, will be a day I never forget. It is the first time I have ever lost anyone I loved with all my heart. Yes, I've lost other family members and friends over my life. And of course, they all meant something to me. But this is different. This is "the inner circle." One of the people that you can't fathom life without. ...And now I have to.

The obituary and funeral will cover all the basic stuff you learn when someone dies. David Eugene Slater was born January 3rd, 1941. He was married for 43 years to Nancy Jo Slater, and had two children, Dave Slater and Stephanie Hall. He had two grandchildren, Taylor and Jacob Hall. He had four brothers and two sisters, numerous nieces and nephews, and the list goes on. He was a traveling salesman for most of his life, and attended many churches.

What you won't read is that stuff that makes a person important. The inside. I in no way hold the market on this knowledge. Shoot! I'm probably down the list a ways. But what I *do* know is that Uncle David was like a second father to me. Please indulge me as I tell you about why I loved my uncle so very much.

--He taught me how to make popcorn balls.
--He loved cars. I don't know that I ever saw him fixing them, but he loved to collect models and drive them. I'm pretty sure the 1990's were spent reliving his youth with the purchase of a Chevy Monte Carlo and a red convertible.
--He actually let me borrow the Monte Carlo for my Prom. This was a VERY big deal, and I was honored that he would entrust me with it.
--He could sing louder than anyone in any room, anywhere. Some found this annoying, others were impressed. To me, it just was.
--He and Aunt Nancy came to several of my basketball games over the years. This meant more to me than they probably know. They even got to see the best game of my career at GU during regionals senior year.
--He was always proud of me. I can't say he ever told me that directly, but I knew.
--He and Aunt Nancy helped move me to college my freshman year. This meant so much to me since I do view them as surrogate parents. It was wonderful to have all my loved ones show me off on my new adventure.
--He always called and sang "Happy Birthday" to me, Joe, and each child on our birthday. Oh, how I wish I had that voicemail now.
--My senior year of high school, I went with him on his job for a day. It was a way for me to see my then-boyfriend at WSU, but I really enjoyed myself! I got to see him in "salesman" mode, which we didn't see on family time. I was able to help him unload freight, and he told me all kinds of interesting facts as we drove the old Palouse Highway.
--He always had jokes to tell whenever we saw him. And they were nearly always funny!
--When I was around 10, we started dropping by their house on random (usually Friday) nights. We would stay for hours, and the adults would discuss all kinds of things from movies, to current events, politics, religion and so on. As an only child I was fascinated with the siblings. No one could argue like dad and Uncle David! But they always parted as friends, and no one held grudges. I learned so much in those nights.
--I helped paint their house one summer when I was a teenager. I loved every minute of it :) I still remember the parts I painted!
--He loved Jelly Belly's and always had a jar close by.
--He loved my children. There is no greater gift to me than this.
--For the best decade or so, we have spent every Christmas together: my parents, myself (and my family as it grew), Uncle David and Aunt Nancy, Stephanie and her family (Josh, Taylor and Jacob). I would move heaven and earth not to miss this event.
--He gave me Stephanie who, for this only child, is the closest thing to a sister I will ever have. And I am grateful every single day of my life for her.
--When they knew we were all coming to visit, he'd buy cookies at Rosauers and sneak them to Maddie and Ben. They came to expect sugar cookies and would ask with bright eyes upon entering the house.
--He loved the Seahawks for as long as I can remember.
--He collected caps. In his house, upstairs, he has his entire collection of hats. As I grew up and traveled, I always made sure to get Uncle David a hat from where I'd been. The last one I got him was from Daytona Beach Speedway, Florida.
--He loved messages. Several years ago, he was hit by a car while crossing the street. From that moment on, he was in pain due to Fibromyalgia. When I got strong enough, I would give him the deepest back or neck rub I possibly could. I loved doing it because I knew it made him feel better. on Christmas, just a few days before his death, he asked for a neck rub and I happily complied. I hope it made him feel better!
--He took me fishing with Dave and Stephanie in his boat. I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't like fishing. I had so much fun, it didn't matter.
--His marriage to Aunt Nancy was a great example to me. They didn't always get along! And I know that sounds strange to bring up right now, but let me explain. It was no secret that they didn't always see eye to eye. But they remained married (and usually happily in it) through it all. It taught me that it's okay to fight but be sure to make up, and that there really is such a thing as unconditional love and honoring a promise.
--The love and support that he had for Aunt Nancy during her cancer this past year was absolutely amazing. He was there for every single second of it supporting her, loving her, holding her hand, protecting her, and praying with her every step of the way. What a gift of undying love to his wife.

I realize I could go on and on and on. I'm sure as time passes, and this nightmare we find ourselves in becomes more real, I'll remember more things I loved about this man. But what I want you to know is that I lost a man this week that I loved very much. He was honest, hard working, kind, loving, Godly, funny, and brave. I am blessed to have had him for 29 years, and I'm thankful my children know and love him too.

God bless you, Uncle David. The angels rejoice for you have come home!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
You put into words your memories and feelings so beautifully. Thanks you for doing so; Tom and I continue to pray for all of you .
Love, Aunt Anne

Katie said...

That was a very touching tribute to your uncle, Becky. It brings tears to my eyes. What a gift you had in your uncle. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. Love, Katie