I have been bad about updating the blog. I'm sorry. I'd hope that the last post would make it pretty obvious why. Uncle David's passing still has not sunk in for all of us, and I think it will be a very long time before it does. However, his death was the last straw for our December. Let me highlight just a few points:
--The reality of having two mortgages hit us in November. I consider myself pretty good with numbers, but bill juggling these days have taken on a whole new meaning. This bled into December, and was only made worse by Christmas.
--The car broke down. Bad. Really bad. I was on my way to Seattle for a mini-girls weekend and a road race when I broke down about 45 minutes outside of Kennewick. Joe did everything he could think of to fix it. But we finally broke down and took it to a mechanic for an analysis. Diagnosis? Head Gasket. cost? $2000. Yikes!
--We woke up one Monday morning to the smell of fire. Really not a great wake up call. I prefer Folgers myself. After hunting around, we discovered it was the furnace. *Please insert a GIANT eye roll and a "lovely" here for your minds eye* That was me. Well, luckily it only cost us $150 to fix and we had warm air by the end of preschool.
--Lest I get excited that we fixed the problem, the furnace breaker continued to pop. While it wasn't an immediate problem, it certainly wasn't good. We checked it every few hours for about a week with the same results. Blown. So, Joe attempted to put in a new fuse. Problem was that you need to go to a specialty store for that. *great* He put the old one back in and was going to take care of it later. Somehow a miracle occurred. The furnace if fixed! We think that when the technician was out, he didn't put the fuse back in correctly and it was making an arch. Whatever. It's fixed now. Thank you, Lord!
--The first weekend in December we had a little extra money and decided to replace the toilet downstairs. It's original and uses a massive amount of water! A cheap, but efficient toilet is only $80 and we figured it'd be worth it in water bill savings. We were quite surprised to find that our toilet is a non-standard 10" size (from base to wall). Who knew?! So poor Joe and my dad had to put the old toilet back in and take the new toilet back. So much for a little weekend project.
--The toilet downstairs started plugging up. ....You saw this coming didn't you? Well, I didn't. And of course, when did it back up? When the furnace was out and the tech was on his way. We were down to one toilet for the week because I didn't trust the downstairs one after two overflows. Thank goodness the next weekend (when the car broke down) my parents and Aunt Nancy and Uncle David were able to come down with a new 10" toilet for us.
I think that's it. Well, all the big stuff at least. Let me sum it up: Furnace, toilet, car, Christmas, death.
December of 2010 has been the worst month of my entire life. Bar none. It is just crazy the amount of MAJOR things that went wrong!! However, I can say that I find positives in there as well. Uncle David came to my home for the first (and last) time. If the car and toilet hadn't crapped (pardon the pun) out on us, he never would've made it. What a special day I will always remember....I hate myself for not taking pictures, though. We had a very lovely Christmas. The whole day was really great!! I don't think I'll be blogging about it, though. Too many memories. The kids had their first Christmas Programs. That was cute! There are lots more little things that turned out ok. But mainly, the month sucked. Really and truly. And I am more than happy to see 2010 bite the dust.
Here's hoping that 2011 is better.
No comments:
Post a Comment