Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Maddie and Daisy

As most who have pets before they have kids will attest to, when the bundle of joy comes home, the pet is deserted. This, is pretty much what happened to our cat, Daisy. I got her as a less than one pound, 5 week old kitten, nine months before Joe and I got married. She moved to California with us, and back to Washington. All while enjoying the luxury of being our "kid." We bought her toys, we brushed her, took her for rides, took pictures of her, and we fed her lots of treats....she was a well-pampered kitty cat.

Times have changed.

Where before Daisy was NOT allowed outside, now she spends most of her time outdoors. She never gets anything new except cat food; not even kitty litter (because she goes outside now). She has no place that's 'hers' and is constantly hounded by small children. Poor Daisy! I know it sounds like I'm kidding, but I really do feel sorry for her. It must stink to be replaced so quickly and so thoroughly without hope of ever being #1 again.

Maddie has always loved Daisy. Unfortunately, she has "loved" her a little *too* much at times. And even more unfortunately, she has attacked poor Daisy at others. It's definitely been a love-hate relationship...Maddie loves Daisy, Daisy hates Maddie! But all that started changing about a year and a half ago when Ben became truly mobile. While Maddie would listen to me when I would try to teach her how to be gentle with Daisy, Ben didn't. Listening is a constant and on-going problem of Ben's. The cat is no exception.

And so it seems as though Daisy has decided that since Ben is so darn mean to her, she must form an alliance with Maddie. It is really very sweet to see them! Maddie is good at petting her, giving her treats, and even letting Daisy sit on her lap! About the only thing Maddie has an issue with is understanding when Daisy wants to be left alone.


I was able to catch a sweet moment with the girls of the house a few mornings ago. Daisy seems to be very affectionate when she comes in in the morning, so Maddie pulled out a blanket and called to her. Daisy sat with Maddie for a good 20 minutes, kneading the blanket and purring while Maddie pet her and watched cartoons. It's so nice to see them get along so well. Now if only I could get Ben to understand....

2 comments:

Robert Salnick said...

Adam had trouble learning about that too...

Dadgummit said...

Wait..wait wait.. Ben is fine. He is just honing in his craft as a skilled hunter and outdoorsman.

Battling the living room beast is a critical part of his training.

The Brotherhood applauds his efforts to crush sugar-and-spice-and-everything-nice.