Epcot is divided into two major areas: Future World (the golf ball area) and World Showcase. I must admit, after about 30 minutes in Future World I was rapidly becoming disappointed with Epcot. The "cool" rides I couldn't do. I have HORRIBLE motion sickness. Poor Joe can't even drive the minivan sometimes because I get so sick. So if I don't know what the ride is like, I won't even try. There is nothing worth being sick the rest of the day. So half the attractions in Future World we couldn't do. Sorry Joe! The other half was...strange. They were mostly indoors, which was great, but were small stations, seemingly designed for school age kids. Video games, robots, TV's, giant bubble houses, stuff like that. We walked through it, but weren't very interested in it. I was a little shocked, and concerned that I'd just spent $150 for tickets to a place that sucked!
Joe at the start of World Showcase
So off we headed to World Showcase. *This* is what people loved about Epcot. Granted, it's no Disneyland, or Magic Kingdom. But it was much more adult-based and interesting! For those of you who have never been there, World Showcase is set around a giant man made lake. As you walk around the lake, you visit several different countries: Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, America (duh!), Japan, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, and Canada. Each country has a little en cove with shops, restaurants, and an attraction. Even the people working in these countries are NATIVE to the countries and wear somewhat native clothing! It's quite fascinating, really.A look across the lake to United Kingdom and France
Italy
United Kingdom
Each area had their own unique qualities that were fascinating. It seemed that the places we'd like to actually visit someday, were the countries that held the most intrigue for us. I loved Germany (I'm over half German) and the United Kingdom (as I secretly want to be English! I love their accent!). Joe had German sausage and Sauerkraut and was in heaven. I bought a "Manchester United" shirt in U.K. (They're a futbol team there. The shirt is actually from U.K.). It was a lot of fun!! I also really enjoyed the accents of the people working in their respective areas. It's not too often that I hear a true Norwegian accent...but I did at Disney World!
By this point we were worn out! We headed over to Downtown Disney, which is a shopping area in the middle of the parks. It's surprisingly large, but free and easy to park at. After getting the rest of our "guilt gifts" we said good bye to Disney and headed back to our hotel. I literally fell asleep by 9pm (6pm West Coast time!). I was *that* tired. The next morning we were up at 5am to get to the airport, send the Kia back, and head back to our babies!!
It was a wonderful vacation!! I honestly don't think we would've enjoyed it as much if we didn't have kids. I know that sounds weird, but you really do appreciate things so much more with them. I have never spent a night away from them before. In 3 1/2 years, they have ALWAYS been at my side. I love my job! I absolutely love being a mom and a homemaker. But boy, did I need a vacation! haha! Joe is still shocked that I was able to come up with such an awesome trip/birthday present for him. He deserves it. He sacrifices so much for his family, and never does anything for himself. I couldn't think of a more deserving daddy and husband :)
I could NOT have done this without the help of my parents, who so graciously gave of their time, their money, and their love. My Aunt Nancy and Uncle David, who took care of things in Spokane for my parents. Joe's parents, Dick and Katie, for giving him his birthday money early. And my dear friend Heather for taking care of my parents in Seattle! Thank you all, guys!! We love you so much!!!
Happy Birthday, Joe!!! Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment