Sunday, September 20, 2009

Joe's NASCAR Experience

Registration

The moment we walked into the door of the visitor’s center (or by mail, for some other lucky folk) I was supposed to check in and sign multiple forms that read “if you die, it’s your fault”. Being terribly excited, almost so much that I couldn’t stop shaking, I didn’t bother to read anything as I was soon going to be living a dream of actually driving a car I probably shouldn’t legally be near. After completion and a blood sample (kidding…or am I?), the host gave us brief directions to the infield and the media center where the initial training will take place.

Training

Making the way to the infield under the track was an experience. First you’re greeted by and given a short pep talk from a man that might have enjoyed a few too many cigarettes over his lifetime. When you drive out of the tunnel and look around you literally say, “Wow.” Daytona Super Speedway is huge! Most stadiums only look big from the outside but when you get down on the field; it’s actually is not that big at all. Daytona is not like that, it’s big from the outside and even bigger from the inside. We made our way to the press room, suited up, and prepared for the training. The “training” mainly consisted of the program manager (Greg) giving us instruction on what was expected of us and what to do while in the car. In short, it was:

1) Stay 3 car lengths behind the pace car.
2) If you’re going too fast, you’ll see a yellow light on the left side of the car
3) If you’re going too slow, you’ll see a green on the right side of the car.
4) Don’t do anything stupid.

Yes. This is "training" to drive a race car.

I was nervous; I don’t think if I was asked a question that I could even answer without sounding like a kid going through puberty. Honestly, I’m sure he did ask me something and I just gave him a blank stare and he moved to the next guy.


The Waiting
After the *highly* technical training course we made our way out to the cars. It was hot and humid, I was wearing a full fire suit, and my heart was racing at about 200 beats per minute. All I was thinking about was sliding into that car like one of the Duke Brothers and doing donuts. But alas, we were required to wait as the previous group was still right in the middle of their laps. After that group finished (probably 30 minutes or more), we were given a brief introduction to the pace car drivers and go through a drivers meeting, stating the racing order, and a quick review of the basic instruction. I was 5th. I had 4 other drivers to wait for before I could get my chance. You know that sick-to-your-stomach feeling you generally have before some big event? Yeah, there was a little bit of that going on.

Waiting for my turn. This moment seemed like hours!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Nice work Joe, that looks awesome. Glad both you and the car came home in one piece.