On Saturday, July 2nd, we celebrated the life of Thomas Patrick Ames at a little chapel (known as the Poker Church) in Cody, Wyoming. Joe's grandfather, affectionately known by all of us as Granddad, was born April 2nd, 1918. He passed away in January 2011, only a few months before his 93rd birthday.
I've thought a lot about how I wanted to pay tribute to Granddad on our blog. I believe I wrote something back when he died. But somehow everything I think of doesn't quite seem right. For one, he lived a very long life. And A LOT of very important things happened in that life! It's hard to pinpoint just a few. And so, I think I will tell you what *I* know about Granddad. Because we each have our own memories...so these are mine.
The basic facts:
Thomas Patrick Ames (Pat) was born in Putney, Vermont on his mother's relatives farm. He spent his early childhood in Cody, WY where his dad trained racing horses. During his formative years, the family lived in New York and New Jersey, where his parents eventually divorced and his mom became a single parent to Granddad, Jim, and Happy. Granddad worked on Wall Street for one of his uncles in the early 1930's, where he learned a lot about stocks and investing. In 1936, his mother asked him to come back to Montana with her to start a Dude Ranch. The "Bar TA Ranch" was owned by his mother, Tony Ames (an AMAZING woman) from 1939 to 1954. There, Granddad met the love of his life, Helen Preator. They married in February 1941, and Granddad enlisted in the Army in March.
Granddad spent four years in the Army during World War II (1941 to 1945). He was a tank commander, and served in North Africa, Morocco, and Italy. In the famous Battle of Casino, Italy, Granddad was seriously wounded. According to his own memory, his tank was advancing on the enemy when an anti-tank gun hit his tank, sending it into flames. Granddad escaped with severe burns and began crawling back to Allied territory. However, a German sniper saw him and shot him in the leg, further wounding him. Granddad made it back to safety and spent the next 6 months in hospitals all over the world trying to get home. Miraculously, his leg was saved, though it would give him problems the rest of his life. Granddad received 3 bronze stars and 2 purple hearts for his service.
After the war, Granddad was introduced to his now 2 1/2 year old son, Tom. Three years later, Joe's dad, John Richard Ames (Dick), was born. During this time, the family lived in Montana where Granddad got a Bachelor's degree in Accounting. For the next 30 years he worked in various locations in Wyoming and Texas. He retired around 1980 from Husky in Cody, WY where the family had lived since the 1960's. In 1999, Helen passed away. They were happily married for almost 60 years. Granddad continued to be independent, living in Cody with his dog, Sadie. In 2008, Dick was able to convince him to move to Spokane to be close to his doctors and better medical facilities. And in January, his body finally gave out on him, though his mind remained mostly in tact up to the end.
What I will ALWAYS remember about Granddad:
Granddad has such an infectious personality! He LOVED to just sit and chat with anyone who would listen. He loved to be involved. In politics (he wrote his Congressmen often, and urged us to as well). In religion (he was a staunch Episcopalian, but very versed in many others). In money (Granddad was cheap. And he didn't mind being called that. He felt he should make his money work for him, and wanted us to do the same. We constantly got copies of articles in the mail. :)
Granddad had a beautiful voice. He loved to laugh! He was always humming a tune to the kids. Just something he made up. It was beautiful. We have a video of him holding Maddie at 6 weeks old, humming a little tune to her while she slept. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about how special that was. He LOVED when the kids visited. In November, we took the kids to the nursing home to visit. He was so alive and chatty with them! He wanted to talk TO them, not about them. At the end of our visit, the last time the kids would see him, Maddie gave him a very long, very big hug. I later heard that our visit made his day. Well, he made ours too.
Granddad was a true patriarch. I kind of think he took the role seriously from a young age, after his parents divorce. And it carried over into his later years. I don't know that I've ever met someone so humble, so concerned, but yet so in command. Granddad was the patriarch in the truest sense. Granddad had no reservations. If he didn't like something, he told you. If he had an opinion, he let it be heard. The Ames family isn't very good at that sort of thing. I always appreciated that I knew just where I stood with Granddad :) And, in the same manner, Granddad ALWAYS made me feel welcome. It didn't matter who my parents were, or where I came from. He liked me and accepted me. I will never forget that.
It is no small honor that we named Ben, Thomas Benjamin Ames. In recent months, I've come to realize that "Thomas" is actually a name handed down through the Ames' all the way back to the 1600's!! We had no idea!! But, for us, our "Thomas" is named specifically for Granddad. For a man WE honor for his love, his laughter, and his sacrifice.
The beautiful church where the service was held. It is over 100 years old, and a perfect setting for this occasion.
Joe's cousin Dean, received the flag. We all felt he was the right person to receive the flag. He, himself served in the Army. But he also was very close to Granddad, as he grew up in Cody and spent a lot of time with Granddad and Helen.
The reception. This is Dan's (Joe's little brother) girlfriend Kalie. It was my first time meeting her and her first introduction to the Ames clan. I hope she sticks around after all that! Haha!! She was very nice, and I look forward to getting to know her better :)
Another reception shot. Dick and Katie brought lots of pictures to share. Some were just to look at, but others were up for grabs! I got three photo albums that Granddad put together of the 1930's and 40's. Lots of the Dude Ranch, Tony, and his boot camp days. I'm hoping to put them in some frames to hang on the wall next to the painting of his dad (also a Thomas Ames) that we have.
Maddie and Uncle Dan! We don't get to see him much these days now that he's in Residency for Medical School. So it's a special treat when we do :)
Overall, it was a beautiful ceremony (yes, I cried) for a wonderful man who will NEVER be forgotten.
1 comment:
That's just beautiful Becky. Like I said, I think you are the family historian. Katie
Post a Comment