Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Time with Grandma and Granddad

I haven't mentioned this on here....because I just want to avoid life right now. But here it is: In December and January, in a period spanning 6 weeks, we lost FOUR family members. Yes, FOUR. I lost my beloved Uncle David (which still hurts more than I can possibly say), Uncle Bob, Aunt Evelyn (my dad's oldest sister), and Joe lost Granddad. The only way I can describe this is like a waking nightmare. There just aren't words. The amount of pain and suffering we've been through is....immeasurable. BUT, no one has died in a few weeks, and every person we lost is with God. I cannot begin to relay the amount of comfort knowing our Lord has brought us. We'd be lost without Him (in many ways).

So, with a heavy heart, a few weeks ago we went to Spokane for a memorial service and to help Joe's parents clean out Granddad's apartment. It ended up being just what we needed. It was hard for Joe, of course. We both loved granddad very much, and he has so many fond memories with him. But it wasn't sad. No one was crying. It was just nice to be a family, and talk about memories as we looked through his things. Granddad was an AMAZING person, and I feel so blessed to have known him, let alone be part of his family. I don't think I ever told him (and he probably would have just waved off the compliment), but Granddad was the first person to make me feel like a part of the Ames family. He was always kind and gracious, and was a great conversationalist. As Joe's Aunt Annie said, "Pat was a true gentleman." He really was. A true patriarch of the family.

I am in the process of gathering information about Granddad's time in World War II. I think I'm getting closer to the end of it, but I still have some hunting left to do. When I am finished, I will be posting all the stuff I found on here. It really is just remarkable!! I'm excited to find it and share it with not only his family, but with you who read my blog as well. Granddad was a true hero!



Granddad (as the kids know him, Joe's dad) had hip surgery a few weeks before this, so unfortunately he was pretty out of commission. The kids didn't mind at all though. He let them play with his iPad :)



And Maddie learned how to do the dishes from Grandma. She was so funny! She walked around every where with those yellow rubber gloves on. And when we came home, she asked if she could help ME with the dishes. Sure can, kiddo!


It is a strange thing to go through a loved ones belongings. By the end of the weekend I was ready to be done. It's overwhelming after a while...and he wasn't even my granddad! But we got some beautiful things that I am looking forward to displaying or using. I got a set of silver flatware. It's beautiful! Joe got Granddad's fishing poles...Granddad lived in Cody, WY and LOVED to be outdoors. And we got a painting of Granddad's dad (so Joe's great-grandfather) from 1919! Both Granddad and Great-Granddad were "Thomas" so we wanted the painting for Ben, AKA our Thomas, to keep. Thanks to Katie for making sure we got it!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will be really interested to read all about Pat's history. That is really cool that you are researching it all.
Aunt Annie

Unknown said...

Nice pictures Becky looking forward to see what you find out about Pats history