Sunday, September 12, 2010

Awanas

Two weeks ago the kids started Awana. For those who may not know, Awana is a christian program for kids. Our group meets every Wednesday night from 6:30 to 8pm at First Baptist Church and runs from 3 and 4 year olds all the way up to the teens. The kids get to play games, make crafts, learn Bible stories and verses, and be around other christian kids their age. We were excited to get the kids involved this year, and have the added bonus of them actually meeting other kids from our new hometown!

It's been going great so far!! The kids have really seemed to enjoy it. They get to wear little Cubby vests (they're Cubbies this year. Next year Maddie will be a Sparky and Ben a Cubby), and have books with little bags to carry them in. Because of their ages they get to be in the same class, which I think helps. Having your sibling right next to you makes it not so scary. Maddie has really bonded to a gal named Ashley, I think in part because we left a favorite teacher, Ashly at our old church.

Last week we brought them to class and the teachers asked them if they knew their Bible verse. Never having been in Awana (as kids, parents, or leaders) we had no idea they were supposed to memorize verses!! I felt terrible! I had not prepared them properly!!! Ugh ugh ugh. Mommy gets an 'F' for the day :( So this week I was determined to chat with them about it. We sat down on Thursday and went over the material. Then, tonight (Sunday) I decided to try again. To my absolute astonishment, Maddie remembered her Bible verse with almost no help from me!!! Below is a video of her saying it all by herself. You might have to turn up the volume a lot, it's sort of hard to hear her.


Awana has been so nice for us, too. Every Wednesday we get to be kid-free for an hour and a half, all while knowing our kids are safe, having fun, and learning about God. What a blessing for two worn out parents :) We've treated ourselves to dinner out and time together. Awana is definitely a winner!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I absolutely LOVE the video Bible verse! Great verse Maddie:) I've heard really good things about Awana. That's wonderful the kids can participate, and what a nice break for you two. Love, Katie