Tuesday, March 23, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Dash

Last Sunday, I ran in the St. Patrick's Day Dash! This is the first road race I have done in...oh, 15 years?! Suffice it to say, it's been a while. I was roped into it by my aerobics friends. I think by now most of you know that I have been on a weight loss journey for seveal months. I *hope* to reach my goal in the next two months or so, and then I will post the story with before/after pictures. For now, let's concentrate on the running (or "yogging" as I like to call it).

Here we all are before the race. From left to right: Debbie, my step aerobics instructor and friend (Maddie ADORES her daughter :), Colleen (this girl is an inspiration! She's lost over 150 lbs. the old fashioned way!), Marcia, me, Audrey, and Janice (Audrey's friend). These (minus Janice, whom we met that day and love :) are my workout girls. I see them at least three times a week at class. LOVE THEM!

I would also like to point out that we had to get up at 5am for this race. It was daylight savings time the night before, so technically it was 6am. But, really. Does your body know when it's *supposed* to lose sleep according to the government? No way!



This picture was taken by the official photographers. Debbie and I ran it, with a goal to run the whole way (not based on time, but we did good). The other gals have various injuries that prevent them from running, but there was some serious speed walking going on!

We were told that there were over 15,000 runners! This race was extra fun because it's more laid back than some. We live in Seattle, where there are A LOT of very serious runners. So it was nice to have a wide variety of people to look at. I will not soon forget some of the outfits we saw!

I am not a beer drinker; especially at 10 o'clock in the morning! But I was so looking forward to some green beer. Too bad. I love the contrast between the first photo and this one. We are so happy and awake in this one!!

Another photo with some of the girls, Debbie and Colleen. We had so much fun! We're actually doing another run in a few weeks and thinking about one over Mother's Day! Crazy stuff!

Way back in January I scoffed at the idea that *I'd* be running. At all. I have never been a runner, and frankly, don't enjoy it. But I am quickly finding that there is a place for it in my life, and I am amazed that I was able to go from no running (just other types of cardio) to 3.8 miles straight in just two months! I can't say I "like" it, but it is growing on me as much as it can :)

2 comments:

Beka said...

I am so proud of you! Way to go - this is a huge accomplishment!

Unknown said...

Becky,
Wow! You go girl I am so impressed. How wonderful , I am doing Jazzercise now. I so enjoy your blog!
Aunt Anne in South Carolina