Sunday, April 3, 2011

Maddie is FIVE!!!


Madeleine Louise Ames

April 3rd, 2006

3:01 pm

8 pounds, 11.8 ounces

19 1/2 inches long
Our little girl turned 5 on Sunday!! Unlike her previous birthdays, she has been aching for this one to come along. Five is a big year! She starts Kindergarten in the fall. She is no longer considered a toddler, or a baby, or a preschooler. She is a "kid." Punishments are now taking things away...this is a big change for mommy and daddy. And all those other big things I can't think of right now :) Here's what Maddie is doing:

  • She can write her whole name!

  • She can count to 30 in english, spanish AND chinese!

  • She can spell simple words like mom, cat, dog, and lion.

  • She is done taking naps. However, she is VERY good about taking one if I ask her to because we have plans that night. Maddie loves her sleep.


  • She loves to be animals. Mainly, lions and dogs. But it could be any number of things. And when she does it, she puts her whole body into it. It's disturbing and adorable all at the same time.

  • She LOVES her family. Maddie recently became aware of this thing called "cousins." She is absolutely in love with her four cousins: Taylor, Jacob, Charli, and Diana. They are quite a bit older than her, but they do so well with the kids. My kids cannot get enough of them! I am so grateful that they are forming these lifelong friendships. She also adores her grandparents and her aunts and uncles (well, *my* aunt and uncles, but what's the difference?).

  • Maddie has the MOST expressive face I have ever seen. We actually hear this all the time. She has a scowl like you would not believe. I have no doubt that this face of hers is gonna get her in lots of trouble when she gets older :)

  • When she gets nervous, she becomes a lion and roars at people....no matter where we are or who we're with.

  • Maddie says the funniest things. Not like "ha ha" funny. More like, "Where in the world did she come up with that?!" funny. Most of it is pretty random, off the wall things. I can follow it okay because I'm with her all the time. But most people just scratch their head, which makes it even funnier!

  • Maddie is NOT a girly girl. At all. However, I wouldn't say she's a tomboy either. She is pretty right down the middle. Examples: She likes pink and purple ok, she loves rainbows, but she hates dresses. She loves animals and cars, but doesn't like being really dirty.

  • She is a natural-born leader (at least at this age). I've had several mothers tell me that their child comes home roaring after preschool. :) I have to work in the class and she really does have leadership qualities, and she doesn't even realize it! It will be up to her in the future to foster this gift, but it's definitely there.

I'm sure there are lots of things I'm missing. The older they are, the more there is to comment on. We are SO proud of her! All those years ago when we found out we were having a girl I was terrified. Who would she be? What would she like? Would we be alike? Or different? Maddie is beyond anything I could have dreamed. She is exactly the way God made her, and we love her so very much just how she is :) Somehow I think God knew we (I) needed a little girl. I'm grateful everyday for her!



Happy 5th Birthday, Maddie!

4 comments:

Robert Salnick said...

A wonderful little girl, and a great write-up!

Beka said...

We love watching you grow, Maddie! It's so hard to believe that you are already five, and you're a girl now and not a little kid any more!

Katie said...

I can't believe you're five already Maddie! The birthday party was so fun:) I especially enjoyed watching you eat oysters:) Love, Grandma Katie

Katie said...

I can't believe you're five already Maddie! The birthday party was so fun:) I especially enjoyed watching you eat oysters:) Love, Grandma Katie