Hammie is a 9 week old, female, German Shepard/Labrador mix. The kids and I picked her up at a shelter in the Tri Cities on Monday, stayed the night with my parents, then drove home today. Let me tell you...I'm exhausted! That's a lot of driving in two days!
If anyone is wondering, the short answer to her name is that Maddie named her....with our help. We had originally wanted a boy. So on Sunday, Joe and I came up with a few names the kids could choose from. They chose Hammie. However, "he" turned out to be a "she." No worries, we'd just pick a different name. ...right. Tell that to the 4 yr. old. So, the poor little girl has been branded with Hammie. She'll live.
Having never owned a dog, I wasn't sure what to expect. So far, so good! She had an accident in the car as we were leaving Pasco, but that's it! She slept through the night (man, I feel like a new parent) without any problems and came all the way to Seattle accident free!! If only kids were this easy!! ;)
Maddie has completely claimed the dog as hers, which I was expecting. She is the typical bossy girl. It's more work to keep her in line than the dog! Hopefully she grows out of it soon. I'm kind of torn about the behavior. On one hand, she shouldn't do it. But it's good for the dog to have to submit to people and learn to deal with kids. So, I let her get away with a little for now. How can I be too upset? She's SO EXCITED to have her very own dog. She keeps saying, "Hammie gets to stay with us, right?" Of course!
Ben is more of a stand back kind of guy. I feel bad that he hasn't had the opportunity to bond with her, but I honestly don't think he minds. He pets her here and there, he lets her tackle him (which is the cutest dang thing ever), and she chases him around the island in the kitchen. I'd say it's going well.
As probably most of you expected, Daisy is another matter. Daisy is...well, feisty. As much as I want to make this ok for her, it just isn't. I love her, she's my first "baby," but she is NOT the most important. And, in that sentiment, I have to bring this struggle on her to give my 'top priorities' this new opportunity. It sucks, Daisy. I know. I'm sorry. :( She actually did ok, though. There hasn't been any eye scratching (but we haven't gone to sleep yet). She seemed like she wanted to run away, but she didn't. She stood her ground, but didn't attack. All in all, it went as well as I could've hoped. We will try to be as considerate of Daisy's needs as possible during this transition. Poor cat.
...And if anyone was wondering....Joe's pretty excited too ;)
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, HAMMIE!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment