Thursday, February 26, 2009

Swim Lessons

In an effort to do something active during the long days of winter, I signed both kids up for swim lessons. I thought it would be something fun for the family to do together and work off a little energy for the kids (not to mention the benefits of understanding the water, of course).

To our enormous relief, the kids have loved it! The pool ranges from chilly to down-right cold, which is probably the biggest disadvantage we've seen. Poor Ben is frozen by the time we get out. On the chillier nights, Maddie's pretty much done for too. Cant say I blame them, it's cold!!

During our month-long excursion, they have learned (or at least attempted): kicking, strokes, blowing bubbles, swimming on their backs, back stroke, breathing, and most importantly - jumping in the pool! :) In between "practice runs" we sing songs and do motions. Personally, I've enjoyed the Hokey-Pokey, as it takes me back to my roller skating days! Both kids have gotten big kicks out of jumping in the pool and Maddie wants desperately for us to let her go (it ain't gonna happen, though!). My parents were over for a visit this week and were able to get some pictures for us...

Ben doing his favorite: jumping in!


kicking while on their backs


"Oh no! Sister's gonna get us!!"



Maddie jumping to the teacher. She could do this all night!


Family picture, of course :)

No comments: