Saturday morning was tough. It was still "weathering," I was depressed that it was our last day at Disney, and we had to pack up everyone and load the car before we left for the park. We also had to put our room back together! *That* was interesting. But somehow we got it taken care of, ate and checked out all before the park opened at 9am.
As we passed through the gates one last time we stopped for some pictures. I am sad to say that we really didn't get any good pictures of all four of us, despite my best efforts! But it still turned out ok and we were able to get it before the rain started, so that was excellent.
Since it was our last day at Disney, we decided that we'd do all the things the kids loved again. Which meant that our first stop was at Dumbo! Maddie loved this ride and asked for it constantly. I think Ben enjoyed it too. So that's where we went. As we were waiting in line (for a whopping 5 minutes), the sky opened up. This is one of those times that unless you've lived in Southern California you probably don't quite understand what I mean. When I say, "the sky opened up," I mean I'm pretty sure every angel in heaven dumped water at the same moment right on Disneyland. Think flash floods! The poor kids (and us) were immediately soaked to the bone. People scattered like cockroaches at the sign of light! We dared one more ride, the train. My sweet girl...even soaking wet and freezing she smiled for the picture. Notice how wet her hair was. We had only been in the rain 10 minutes or so at that point. Crazy stuff!
There was NO way we could stay outside under these circumstances. It KILLED me to have to leave Disneyland when I wasn't sure if we'd have time to get back. But there were shows at California Adventure, so off we went. I have NO idea how we got in, but we made it just in time for the Playhouse Disney Stage Show!
It was adorable!! It featured all the shows from the Disney Channel's morning line up: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, Little Einsteins, and Pooh and Tigger. Both Maddie and Ben were freezing. We did the best we could warming them up (without blankets. doh!) as they stood mesmerized by the show. At one point the ceiling dropped bubbles (Maddie chased them around popping them) and at another point, fake leaves. I was quite impressed at how well it was put on (I shouldn't be, it's Disney after all, right?!) and it gave us a chance to dry off!
As we reimerged into the park, the rain had stopped. It was still a little damp the rest of the day, but no more rain! Thank goodness! We rode the Monsters, Inc. ride one more time (it might be my favorite ride we went on. Too fun!), then headed over to the Bugs Life area. There was no body there, so we were able to do all the rides really fast. Excellent!! Ben LOVED the Heimlich Caterpillar ride. He wailed when we had to get off. Silly boy.
We grabbed some lunch, and headed back to Disneyland. I just couldn't leave without Maddie saying good-bye to Mickey Mouse! Ben fell asleep as we passed into Toontown, so Grama and Papa stayed with him as Joe and I went to Mickey's house. The line was a whopping 5 minutes and we were able to see Mickey. Maddie went up (with her own green Mickey ears on!), gave him and hug and smiled for some pictures. As a bonus there were two assistants working with Mickey and one allowed Joe and I to jump in the picture with them. I LOVE this picture! It's so cute! Everyone is smiling!! Only one problem....No Ben. :( Sorry Ben! Maybe next time, buddy!
With regret, we left Disneyland and headed for the equally lovely land of the Inland Empire! haha! I think both Joe and I had been waiting for this moment for a very long time. We were going home. California will ALWAYS hold a special place in our hearts because of Joe's first job, and our first "home" after we got married. We did a lot of growing up and growing together there, and we are forever grateful.
We checked into our FABULOUS hotel (seriously. It was a great stay!) and headed up to Ontario Mills Mall to see my old coworker, Maria. I'm not sure how, but Maria and I have managed to stay in touch ever since we met almost 6 years ago! It really is quite miraculous when I think about how much we've both been through. When I worked with her she was pregnant with her son, DJ. Now DJ is 5, and full of vim and vigor. And did I mention he's a handsome little man?! We ate at the Rainforest Cafe and spent the evening catching up.
It was SO wonderful to see her!! It's been 4 years since we've lived there and it felt like no time had passed...except for adding a few kids. haha! Maddie enjoyed getting to hang out with another kid. Maybe she didn't "know" him, but I think she felt comfortable with the fact that I did. They even gave each other big hugs when we said our good-byes. We'll see you on the next trip, Maria (AKA, my sarcastic sista. hehe!)
We headed back to our hotel and tucked everyone in for a nice, peaceful rest (or about as good as you can get in a hotel bed).
No comments:
Post a Comment