Monday, June 30, 2008

Maddie's first date (and movie)!!!

Here is my synopsis of Maddie’s and my date.

We planned on attending the 9:10 AM showing of Wall E. So in planning this, we got up about 7:30 and went through the usually motions of playing, eating, changing, and getting dressed. There was, of course, some begging by Maddie to watch Wall E on the pader (computer), which we responded with, “you’ll see him on a huge pader in a little bit.” There were no tears for her not getting her way, but there was a look of confusion as she hasn’t seen a “huge pader,” or as we call it, “The Theater.” We finally got out the door and took some pictures and headed off for the big screen about 8:35. Upon leaving I have to say I was nervous, but I’m not 100% sure why. It could be I am going somewhere with a child that when hurt only asks for mommy, or that we are going to do something new to her and I am not a bit sure on how she’ll do. Either way, it was quite odd to get jitters when going somewhere with Maddie.

We arrived at the movie theater about 8:50 AM and I have to say, I over estimated other people’s excitement about this movie. I believe we had a total of 30 people. So, suffice it to say, we arrived way too early. But, we were able to walk around and look at the different posters and talk (Maddie liked the cutout for the new Ice Age movie). About 9:05 we went back to the screen and sat down and took a couple “first time for Maddie pictures,” (I’m 100% percent sure people thought I was crazy). Then we got comfy for the motion picture.

I only caught small glimpses of the previews and the opening short mainly because I was watching Maddie most of the time. Her face when she watches movies on the TV is unmoving and her head is stationary. But on the big screen it was quite different. She would look around and commented on the different things that were happening. I’m not sure how much she understood, but she would laugh and talk at the opening of every preview.


And then the long awaited Wall E started.


Maddie during the movie was quite funny. The first 40 minutes or so, is no dialog, which now that I look at it, is quite terrifying. However, there was the familiar theme music that Maddie did recognize and started dancing to. But the rest of the movie, I don’t believe Maddie took her eyes from the screen. She was constantly looking around at all the things on the screen, and when I would ask her, she would say, “Wall E daddy, it’s Wall E.” The rest of the time, she would sit there, tucked in her blanket (thank God we brought that!) and watch the movie with the open mouthed, “awed” look. About one hour into the flick, Maddie started snacking on some goldfish and crackers followed by some water. But, she sat through the whole thing with just some really minor restlessness at the very end. (She wanted some grapes, but sadly we didn’t pack any).

After the movie we walked out and where surprised by the sun. I think she was a little surprised on how bright and warm it was (as was I). I thought she would be just a chatter box about the movie, but all she really said was “carry you (me), daddy carry you (me).”

We got in the car and made our way back home with a quick stop at Baskin Robbins, were we picked up some ice cream. While on the way, I asked her several times about the movie, and she would comment in Maddie talk with a couple recognizable words here and there. We got to Baskin Robbins and picked out some ice cream (chocolate for Maddie) and jumped back into the car to head home. And we made it home with no tears or cries for ice cream. Unfortunately, that’s not what happened. Because I didn’t want her to stain her shirt, I had to put the cups up front (so we could eat when we got home). Maddie balled and cried for her ice cream. Eventually we got home (seemed like forever!) and I was able to give Maddie her chocolate ice cream, which she proceeded to eat with a big old grin and then take mine and eat that as well.

So, in short it was a successful and fun outing with Maddie and me. I’m not sure what she was able to understand about the movie, but I’m sure she took in far more than what I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww...I wanted to go to the movie fade-er (as D.J. calls it) ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great commentary and the pictures are excellent! Loved the theater seat one. Watch out, Joe, because what's Maddie's is hers and what's yours is hers. It's a little lady's rule! Thanks for sharing. What a fun time for both of you!